Friday 13 September 2013

Oculus Rift for the iPhone


I've had my Oculus Rift for a few days now, I must say I'm blown away. This is the next step in gaming for sure. This provides a problem for me, I am an iPhone developer by day and I have a strong belief in "The one device". That is, a device that can do everything, be my laptop, be my media player, be my TV.... you get the idea. The usage that now presents a problem is I want my "one device" to be my games console. So if the rift is the future, my one device has to support it. Here comes the bad news, my "one device" is my iPhone and the iPhone has zero support for the oculus rift. It seems Oculus VR are concentrating on desktop support so they are not going to add support for it anytime soon. Now by zero support I mean zero, the rift has a USB connection (requiring USB host) for the head tracking data, and an HDMI connection for the image, neither of which the iPhone supports. Now I could go out and buy an Android device which has both of these features, however as much as I've tried to use Android, its just not as good at my everyday tasks. So now I get to the point of this blog. I am going to add iPhone support to the Oculus Rift.

No comments:

Post a Comment